Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
May 9, 2024
Senior Events To Look Forward To
Senior Events To Look Forward To
May 9, 2024
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West

Biden Doesn’t Back the Blue

[OPINION]
Biden Doesnt Back the Blue

The week of May 13th was National Police Week where our men and women from across the country who risk their lives keeping the peace were honored for their dedication.  National Police Week 2024 comes amid a far too frequent epidemic of cop shootings, continued calls to defund law enforcement, and waves of riotous protests across this nation.  With 2024 being a Presidential Election year, the tensions are high, emotions are rampant, and at the heart of it all our law enforcement communities nationwide are having to keep the peace and enforce the law.  What we should see is a government, state and national, willing to support them, but in many liberally run states, as well as the White House, our men and women in blue find themselves unsupported by a partisan, uncaring Democratic Party.

Killing or even shooting at a police officer is one of the worst crimes one can commit.  It’s a crime that usually carries high penalties and life imprisonment in a lot of instances.  Cop killers, as the perpetrators are called, primarily have prior violations of the law on their record and usually put themselves behind bars before they do something as drastic as slaying a police officer.  However, with the justice system politicized under President Biden, Obama-appointed judges and liberal District Attorneys have undermined the law and prioritized crippling left-wing policies.

Officer Jonathan Diller, NYPD, was killed in March of this year by a felon who had 21 prior charges and arrests on his record.  He died needlessly because New York’s liberal state and local governments believe that enforcing the law is racist.  The felon, Guy Riveria should’ve been locked for a long time, before he was allowed back on the streets but he was released and shot Officer Diller who would’ve been alive today with his 1 year old kid and his wife.  President Trump was invited to the funeral to pay his respects.  The Queens billionaire native made brief remarks following the funeral criticizing President Biden and New York Governor Kathy Hochul for their policies that he said led to Officer Diller’s death.

“What happened is such a sad, sad event – such a horrible thing and it’s happening all too often and we’re just not going to let it happen,” Fmr. President Trump told reporters outside the funeral home, “They don’t learn because they don’t respect. They’re not given the respect. Police are the greatest people we have. There’s nothing and there’s nobody like ’em.”  President Trump asserted that the country has to get back to law and order and be tough on crime again.

Officer Diller’s death is a tragedy and unfortunately not an isolated one.  Last year, an illegal immigrant killed a Florida State Trooper amid FL Governor DeSantis’ tough on illegal immigration, tough on crime policies.  Following the killing, Governor DeSantis emphasized the need for a strong border, highlighting his E-Verify plan to make sure new hires have proof of citizenship so no illegal immigrants can get jobs and take advantage of the system.  That’s how it should be done.  Florida and Texas are leading the country in not only backing the blue, but cutting off the head of the snake.

“We do not tolerate illegal immigration, let alone lawlessness committed by illegal aliens who shouldn’t be here in the first place.” Governor DeSantis said in regards to a bill he signed, mid-march, that strengthened penalties and jail sentences for those who enter the US illegally and those who commit crimes.  In his bid for the Republican nomination for President, Governor DeSantis frequently remarked that those who entered the US violently, armed, cartel affiliated, or engaged in human trafficking would end up “stone cold dead.”

What Republicans understand that Democrats try to blind themselves from is that the border is a serious crisis.  Furthermore, it has led to a lot of what’s been happening against police officers.  Coupled with liberal DAs who don’t want to enforce the law, the overwhelming border crisis, amplified by President Biden’s Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas who refuses to secure the border, is costing lives.  Not only is it costing the lives of law enforcement officers who have to deal with many violent illegal immigrants, but also costing the lives of regular Americans who are being subject to this crisis.  Americans like 22 year old nursing student from Georgia, Laken Riley, who was killed violently by a migrant from Venezuela, having been strangled and beaten to death.  President Biden did nothing but apologize to the illegal immigrant for having called him an illegal immigrant – never saying anything to Riley’s family.

“I shouldn’t have used illegal, it’s undocumented,” President Biden told MSNBC’s Jonathan Capehart.  He was asked whether he regretted using the word illegal to describe the migrant, 26 year old Jose Ibarra, to which the President said “Yes.”

Under President Trump our border was strong.  We could’ve had a border wall, 23 of them actually, with all the money we’ve given Ukraine.  We have all the resources we need to confront this crisis and yet President Biden reneges on his promise to defend this nation and its people.  Securing our border is a large part of what we can do to protect our law enforcement, who protect us.  What America needs is a President who defends our country, secures our border, and backs our men and women who put themselves in the line of danger to keep the peace.  President Biden has had three years to do so and he has proved he either doesn’t care or is too incompetent to act.  This November, Americans will have to choose what they want; law and order under a law and order President Trump, or chaos, confusion, incompetency, under another term, pledged for disaster, for President Biden.

About the Writer
Benjamin Nguyen
Ben is a Junior at Lakota West High School.  There he serves as the Junior Class Representative of Student Government as well as plays for the Lakota West boys Tennis team.  This is his second year of Journalism and usually writes his passions and interests for the website.  He likes to talk politics, history, philosophy, and theology, as well as just casually talking with good friends.  He is South Vietnamese American, Christian, and 16 years old.  While Ben was born in Columbus, he considers his hometown Hamilton, OH, as he lived there for the first 10 years of his life.  

“The first step towards failure is bringing it up”

Ben Nguyen