Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
May 9, 2024
Senior Events To Look Forward To
Senior Events To Look Forward To
May 9, 2024
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West

Anthony Edwards: Overrated or Legend?

Anthony Edwards: Overrated or Legend?

Throughout this Minnesota playoff run, Anthony Edwards has been balling out with 30/6/6 (ppg/rpg/apg) shooting 53.5% from the field and 42.5% from three.

Through his 10 playoff games, he is 7-3 including a sweep of the big three in Phoenix, and is currently tied 3-3 with the defending champs Denver Nuggets, facing a game 7 on Sunday. It is safe to say he has been an incredible playoff riser, on offense and defense. Because of this incredible run, people have been building him up all over social media, including a conspiracy theory that his father is Michael Jordan. He has gone viral for many plays and soundbites, and his nickname has now become “Mr. Aura”. With all the hype, the question arises. Is he overrated? As it often is, the truth is a little bit of both.

Ant’s stats are incredible and he passes the eye test. Many of today’s superstars have incredible stats on paper but do not show up on defense. Edwards does not. The Timberwolves have consistently had one of, if not the best defense in the NBA, and Edwards has been a big reason for it. He has also been an incredible team player, with his quote about his teammate going viral.

When asked who can guard superstar Kevin Durant, he told reporters “They got [Kevin Durant] but we got Jaiden McDaniels.”

For many, he has dethroned Devin Booker for the title of the best shooting guard in the NBA. it has been a debate, but with the last sweep, he has gained this title. Leading your team to a first-round sweep over Booker, Durant, and Beal is impressive, but going up 2-0 on the road against the reining Finals and MVP award winner Nikola Jokic and the Denver Nuggets is unbelievable.

Many feel that the hype is unwarranted, and the excitement for him goes too far. Everywhere you go on the internet you find edits, news stories, and other content about him. While it may feel a little extra, at the end of the day this should not affect your outlook on him. Edwards is playing incredible, and social media shouldn’t change your perspective of him. Overrated or not, he has inserted himself into many conversations, and he deserves credit for that.

About the Writer
Nikos Stollenwerk
Nikos is a sophomore in Journalism 1. He loves sports and hopes to go into sports journalism as a profession, but is currently working at Donatos. He is heavily involved in the broadcasting club. In his free time, he plays basketball and football for fun.