Pickett’s Future with Pittsburgh Likely Over Amidst Wilson’s Signing

Pickett’s Future with Pittsburgh Likely Over Amidst Wilsons Signing

With veteran QB Russell Wilson now signed to a one-year 1.21 million dollar deal, Kenny Picket will likely be on his way out.

2023 starter Kenny Pickett has had a rollercoaster of a career in his first two years with Pittsburgh. Despite leading his team to two winning seasons and a playoff birth in 2023, he will likely struggle to find a starting job entering the 2024 season. Despite the team’s success, Pickett was mostly a liability throughout the run. After starting 7-4 (mostly despite him), Pickett went down with an ankle injury. Backup Mitchell Trubisky performed sub-par before being benched for third-string Mason Rudolph. Rudolph played impressively enough to secure the starting job for the playoffs. While Pickett was healthy enough to return, Pittsburgh elected to keep him on the bench and give the reins to Rudolph who outshined Pickett.

With the signing of Russell Wilson, it is likely the end for Pickett in Pittsburgh. While Wilson isn’t who he once was, he still has a veteran presence and can perform at a higher level than Pickett with the offense. Wilson’s best years with the Seahawks were with a good run game and a quality defense, which the Steelers can provide. 

If Pickett is released or requests a trade, he will probably be signed by a QB-needy team, such as the Falcons, Vikings, Patriots, Commanders, or Broncos. He may also go to a contender looking for a quality backup. Hopefully, for his sake, he can get a second chance to revive his now stagnant career.

Nikos Stollenwerk
Nikos is a sophomore in Journalism 1. He loves sports and hopes to go into sports journalism as a profession, but is currently working at Donatos. He is heavily involved in the broadcasting club. In his free time, he plays basketball and football for fun.