Film Review: Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania

A twist on Horton Hears A Who, Ant-man And The Wasp: Quantumania deviates from its predecessors, Ant-man and Ant-man And The Wasp. The film is flawed similar to other more recent Marvel films. The story was incohesive and filled with exposition. CGI is a challenging aspect to produce. However, audiences initially approved of Paul Rudd’s new adventure. 

The beginning of the film is peaceful, Scott Lang (Ant-Man) has written a book about his Avenger adventures, and his daughter, Cassy, uses the technology that gives Ant-Man his abilities for protests, subsequently getting her jailed. Cassy is then revealed to have been working on a device, a radar for the quantum (beyond microscopic) realm. The device is activated. The situation goes wrong. The cast finds themselves in a new world; a small world. 

For the rest of the 2-hour run time, I waited for a moment of suspense that never came. Building on the plot was barred by exposition. The comedy lifted some of the weight off the lack of suspense but didn’t always hit. One ‘joke’ was just a call to socialism that awkwardly stuck out. The whole movie had political themes. Otherwise, the dialogue was clever. Marvel’s big budget can’t pay for perfect writing but can help hire enough qualified technical crew.

The new world of the quantum realm is filled with colorful visuals and concepts. The concepts for the alien people and places were somewhat creative and did not waste the CGI but sometimes the images in the background were neglected and static. To offset the rigor of using CGI on nearly every background narrow foreground focus was overused. The sound was perfectly clear and the music was not heavily utilized. Marvel’s big profit still could have paid for the best visuals audiences have ever seen.

Quantumania has an 84% audience score to that 47% critic score.” Paul Tassi writes for Forbes.