April 27th, 2024 the day many of us have been dreaming about and waiting for. Prom season is finally upon us, which leaves some people in a tough spot. Finding a dress isn’t as simple as it seems; it can be especially stressful if you have a certain image in your head of how you want things to be. When looking for a prom dress, you need to be asking yourself three simple questions: What is the theme of the actual dance, what color or style do you want to go for, and possibly the most important question, how long do you want it?

Styles

Many people try to match the trend of what’s in style right now, which begs the question: What exactly is in style right now? 

The answer to that question is that it all depends on the type of girl you are. Girls around the world aren’t leaning into just one specific category of dresses anymore. As time has gone on we’ve started to see more and more different kinds of dresses and some different lengths too. 

I spoke with a friend of mine, Sway Perry, who lives out of state and she said “I honestly don’t have a preference for the kind of dress I’m going for. I just want something that’s going to look different from everyone else and still make me look pretty” 

This demonstrates how the style of dress you want all depends on what you’re into and what looks good to you.

Matching the Theme

Some people aren’t too worried about the style of dress, and are more focused on trying to match the theme. The theme this year for Lakota West is Met Gala.

Based on this information, you can either research Met Gala looks ,or you can try to imagine what you would wear on the Met Gala red carpet. Personally, when I hear Met Gala, my mind pictures something that screams “I’m here” and looks glamorous. Someone else, however, might have a different idea of what the Met Gala looks like to them. 

So What Dress is For Me?

There is no specific style or specific dress for one person. It all depends on the factors you choose to focus on. Whether that be the theme, style, length, or anything of that sort, go with the dress you feel most confident in and feel the best in.