Ryan Garcia VS Devin Haney

Ryan Garcia VS Devin Haney
Roy Rochlin

This Saturday one of the biggest fights of the year yet was held. The boxing match was held at the Barclays Center in New York City and the two competitors were the undefeated Devin Haney and his opponent Ryan Garcia. After 12 long matches, the winner was Ryan Garcia. No one believed he would come out on top and he made sure to prove them all wrong this previous Saturday night. 

The Social Media Aspect of The Fight

The promotions leading up to this fight were beyond insane. Turns out there is a lot of history between the two competitors being that they competed against each other quite a lot when they were both young and first starting out in the boxing scene. 

Regarding promoting the fight regardless of the winner, Ryan Garcia made sure to get the battle into the public eye. His demeanor in the interviews and online made people believe he was not taking this fight seriously and that he might have had a few screws knocked loose. He constantly made out-of-pocket comments and jokes, leading viewers to believe he was in for a rude awakening in this match that would happen on April 20th.

What Made This Fight So Interesting?

Although Devin Haney lost the match he did not lose his belt. This is due to Ryan Garcia failing to make the 140lbs weight limit for the fight giving Devin an unfair disadvantage. Even with Ryan’s win he did not get to take the “undisputed lightweight champion” title due to that underlying fact. 

Devin Haney came into the fight undefeated while Ryan came in with the history of a horrible loss from a previous match between him and another boxer Tank Davis. 

All of these factors led to a lot of people having little to no faith in Ryan. I watched the fight with my boyfriend, Jumel Higgins, he was a firm believer that Ryan would lose he said, “He’s not competing with Devin, dude is nowhere on his level I can’t lie, I’ll bet you $20 right now that he loses”. Ryan took the world by surprise with his win and it shows that you should never count out the underdog.