Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
May 9, 2024
Senior Events To Look Forward To
Senior Events To Look Forward To
May 9, 2024
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West

Bengals @ Lions Preview

After an ugly game on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers, the 3-2 Cincinnati Bengals look to improve to 4-2 this weekend in Detroit, as they take on the 0-5 Lions. I feel like I have said this in every article up to this point, but this Sunday’s game is really a must-win game for the Bengals. Here is what you can look for in this weekend’s interconference showdown.

A Mouthwash Game

The Packers game was definitely one of the more ugly games this team has played in quite a while. There were at least 4 opportunities to beat Green Bay and improve to 4-1, but due to record-breaking amounts of missed field goals and horrific play calling from Zac Taylor, the Packers ended up winning 25-22 in late OT. The Bengals really need to bounce back and take care of business against this struggling Detroit team to get the bad taste of last week out of their mouths. Not to mention 4-2 looks a whole lot better than 3-3.

A Redemption Game For Taylor

Forget about McPherson’s missed kicks, the loss against Green Bay was entirely Zac Taylor’s fault because of his horrible play calling on offense. In all honesty, I don’t think Zac Taylor has done anything to prove himself as Cincinnati’s offensive play-caller, he has done plenty to prove that he is incapable of running the offense. Taylor needs to seriously get his stuff together, especially after already having the fan base turned against him because of his questionable 4th down call in week one against Minnesota. One game against the Lions is not going to turn things around entirely for him, but he needs to do something to get back on track with his 3-year contract up at the end of the season.

Getting The Team Back On Track

Both offense and defense could use a bounceback game after struggling against the Packers. The Bengals were in the game and even had a chance to win, but it really never felt that way. Burrow had a great game with 281 yards and 2 touchdowns in 26 completions and 2 interceptions. One of them came in OT, but Crosby missed one of 5 potential game-winners after that play. Mixon had limited carries after battling an injury that is unrelated to his injury last year. Then, Ja’Marr Chase continued to look like the rookie of the year with 1 touchdown and nearly 160 yards. Defense, however, really did not look pretty, no matter how close that game may have been. With Burrow, there is still room to improve with INTs and the defense really needs to bounce back against what should be a mediocre Lions offense on Sunday.

Predictions

The Bengals should definitely win this game. It should be a dominant showing for the offense, and as for the defense, they should definitely bounce back. I am going to say the Bengals win 33-23. Burrow should look dominant, Ja’Marr should have at least one more touchdown, and Joe Mixon (if he returns fully) should have a decent day against this Lions defense.

Nick Johnson
Nick Johnson, Editor-in-Chief
Nick Johnson is a third-year journalism student in his senior year. Nick is very involved around the school, as a peer counseling lead team member and doing PA announcing for the baseball team in the spring. He is also a leader of the Lakota West Student Broadcasting Club. Nick enjoys writing about sports, specifically football, as he is a huge NFL fan. Specifically, he is a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions. He also does writing for other sports, and you can read all of his articles and more here on the West Press.