Will Rocks Chris Rock

Will Rocks Chris Rock

On Sunday, March 27, 2022 the Oscars were on at 8pm and everything seemed to be going well.   But then, the ceremony took a quick turn for the worse. Chris Rock, a comedian and actor, was up on stage doing what he does best, making jokes.  He made a joke about Jada Smith about her bald head. Everyone got a good laugh out of it, and even Will Smith was laughing.  Until he wasn’t. He got up, walked on stage and slapped Chris Rock across his face on global television live to everyone around the world. 

The joke very visibly offended Jada Smith.  And others may have thought he crossed a line,  not because she’s bald,  but because her baldness is due to alopecia,  an autoimmune disorder that causes your hair to come out, often in clumps the size and shape of a quarter. She most likely was very offended by this because she was embarrassed, despite the fact that she has expressed that she is proud of the way she looks.

This was a very embarrassing moment for the Oscars. Many people thought it was staged because everyone there is an actor but it was very real. Chris Rock took the situation very well and kept his composure, unlike Will.  After slapping him, he yelled  “Keep my wife’s name out of your *&&^#%&  mouth.” 

There’s many theories explaining Smith’s behavior — some say that Will did it because Jada gave him that one look any wife would do if they were mad, which was probably the case.