When Brown Turns Green: Lakota West Principal Leaves for Mason HS

After nearly 20 years of service for Lakota Local Schools, West Principal Ben Brown has transferred to be Executive Director at Mason High School. 

The end of the school year calls for a lot to happen at Lakota West, but few expected the bomb-shell of an announcement Lakota’s administration dropped after the school day ended. Around 2 pm on Thursday, May 23rd, Lakota announced Mr. Ben Brown, the principal at West who has held the position since 2020, would be stepping down from his role and leaving Lakota in its entirety. Brown furthered this statement by announcing he would be taking up the Principal/Executive Director at Mason High School, where he will serve nearly 3500 students.

In an email sent that afternoon to parents, staff, and alumni, Brown described his experience at West as tremendously fulfilling. “I am very proud of what our teachers, staff and students achieve together every day. I have been honored to see great things come to life in our building because of the sense of community we have at Lakota West.”

Brown graduated from Miami University in 1999, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in Education. He then earned a Master of Arts in educational administration from Xavier University in 2003. Brown served as principal of Union Elementary, Ridge Jr. High, and finally Lakota West High School.

“It has been an honor to serve the Lakota School Community for 19 years, and it is very emotional to say goodbye to all the people who mean so much to me,” Brown said in a statement from Mason Public Schools. “I am humbled to have been chosen to be the lead learner of Mason High School, and I am excited to tap into our students, staff, and community’s strengths and dreams as we imagine a Mason Quality high school experience for our students now and in 2030.”

Dr. Jonathan Cooper, Superintendent of Mason Public Schools, spoke about Brown’s capabilities and passion for his work, and the contributions he will bring to Mason High School.

“We admire his commitment to connection and visibility…he is a humble, student-centered instructional leader who builds strong, collaborative relationships, and we look forward to the bright future ahead for Wm. Mason High School under his leadership.”

Brown began numerous rounds of interviews earlier this year, with almost 100 stakeholders participating. He will officially be hired after the Mason School Board is expected to confirm his position on Tuesday, May 28th, and will begin his role on August 1st.

Students of West had mixed emotions on Mr. Brown’s departure, many describing it as “a loss we weren’t prepared for.” Jordan Otabil, an up-and-coming senior and president of Lakota West’s Student Government, described his time at the High School as being both productive and supportive of the students he helped to guide.

“(Brown) was a very lively principal, and you could tell that he was passionate about creating an environment built by and for the students.”

Brown will now become another honored principal who served at West, joining the ranks of beloved Mr. Card, who held the position during the 2010s.

The West Press thanks Mr. Brown for his undeniable passion, dedication, and spirit that made Lakota West what it always was and will continue to be: A Firebird Family.

“As Always… Go Firebirds!” – Ben Brown

Thomas Price
Thomas Price, Website Manager
Thomas Price is a second-year student in Journalism who has been heavily involved in The West Press over the last school year. He participates in many of Lakota’s extra-curricular and in-school programs, such as being a member of the Hope Squad, Junior Board, Lakota West Drumline, performer in the Marching Band, and a Percussionist in Symphonic Winds. As a creatively driven student, Thomas is also skilled in many technical areas, whether through the use of photography, video design, or media creation. Through The West Press, he focuses on writing local news and opinion articles, giving daily insight into the good and bad West has to offer to its students and staff.