Highlights From The 66th Annual Grammy Awards

The 66th Annual Grammy Awards, hosted by comedian Trevor Noah, were held on February 4th, with many of music’s biggest stars in attendance. The night started with the pre-show, followed by the main awards show. Dua Lipa had the first performance to start the night, singing her yet-to-be-released new single Training Season, followed by her latest single Houdini. 

Best Pop Solo Performance Award Winner: “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus took home the first award of the night for Best Pop Solo Performance for her hit song “Flowers.” The other nominees for the award were “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift, “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo, “What Was I Made For (From The Motion Picture ‘Barbie’)” by Billie Eilish, and “Paint The Town Red” by Doja Cat.

The second performance of the night came from Luke Combs and Tracey Chapman. They sang a duet of Chapman’s famous song “Fast Car,” which Combs covered on his latest album.

Best Música Urbana Album Award Winner: “Mañana Será Bonito” by Karol G

Karol G took home the award for the Best Música Urbana Album with her album “Mañana Será Bonito.” The other nominees for the award were “Data” by Tainy and “Saturno” by Rauw Alejandro.

The third, fourth, and fifth performances of the night came from some of the biggest names in the music industry today. SZA performed her hit songs “Snooze” and “Kill Bill,” both of which were from her latest album, “SOS.” Billie Eilish was next, performing her song “What Was I Made For (From The Motion Picture Barbie)” followed by Miley Cyrus performing her hit song “Flowers.”

Best Country Album Winner: “Bell Bottom Country” by Lainey Wilson

Lainey Wilson took home the award for Best Country Album with her album “Bell Bottom Country.” The other nominees for the award were “Rustin In The Rain” by Tyler Childers, “Zach Bryan” by Zach Bryan, “Brothers Osborne” by Brothers Osborne, and “Rolling Up The Welcome Mat” by Kelsea Ballerini. 

Best R&B Song Winner: “Snooze” by SZA

SZA won the award for Best R&B Song with her hit song “Snooze.” The other nominees were “Back To Love” by Robert Glasper featuring SiR and Alex Isley, “On My Mama” by Victoria Monét, “ICU” by Coco Jones, and “Angel” by Halle.

The sixth and seventh performances of the night were from Olivia Rodrigo performing her hit song “Vampire” followed by a performance by U2 from the Sphere in Las Vegas.

Best Pop Vocal Album Winner: “Midnights” by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift won the award for Best Pop Vocal Album with her tenth studio album “Midnights”. The other nominees were “-” by Ed Sheeran, “GUTS” by Olivia Rodrigo, “Endless Summer Vacation” by Miley Cyrus, and “Chemistry” by Kelly Clarkson. In her acceptance speech for the award Taylor Swift made a major announcement, revealing her latest album, “The Tortured Poets Department.” It has a release date of April 19th, 2024.

In the past year since the last Grammy Awards, many music legends passed away. Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox, Jon Batiste, and Fantasia Barrino paid tribute to famous artists such as Tony Bennett, Sinead O’Connor, Clarence Avant, Tina Turner, and many other musical talents the world lost in 2023. The tribute performances were followed by the presentation of the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award to Jay-Z.

Song of the Year Award Winner: “What Was I Made For (From The Motion Picture ‘Barbie’)” by Billie Eilish

Billie Eilish won the award for Song of the Year for her song “What Was I Made For (From The Motion Picture Barbie). The other nominees were “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo, “Kill Bill” by SZA, “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus, “Dance The Night (From Barbie The Album)” by Dua Lipa, “Butterfly” by Jon Batiste, “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift, and “A&W” by Lana Del Rey.

The eighth, ninth, and tenth performances of the night came from folk music legend Joni Mitchell, who performed her 1966 song “Both Sides Now,” Travis Scott with his songs “My Eyes” and “FE!N,” and Burna Boy, 21 Savage, and Brandy performing “City Boys” and “Sittin’ On Top of the World.”

Best New Artist Award Winner: Victoria Monét

Victoria Monét took home the award for Best New Artist. The other nominees were Jelly Roll, The War And Treaty, Noah Kahan, Coco Jones, Ice Spice, Fred again…and Gracie Abrams.

Record of the Year Award Winner: “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus won her second Grammy of the night, taking home the award for Record of the Year for her song “Flowers.” The other nominees were “Worship” by Jon Batiste, “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift, “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo, “On My Mama” by Victoria Monét, “Not Strong Enough” by boygenius, “What Was I Made For (From The Motion Picture Barbie)” by Billie Eilish, and “Kill Bill” by SZA.

The eleventh performance of the night came from Billy Joel, with his first new song in nearly thirty years, “Turn The Lights Back On.”

Album of the Year Award Winner: “Midnights” by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift won the award for Album of the Year with her tenth studio album “Midnight”. This win set a new record, making Taylor Swift the only artist in Grammy history to win the award 4 times. The other nominees for the award were “World Music Radio” by Jon Batiste, “GUTS” by Olivia Rodrigo, “the record” by boygenius, “SOS” by SZA, “The Age Of Pleasure” by Janelle Monáe, “Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” by Lana Del Rey, and “Endless Summer Vacation” by Miley Cyrus.

Closing out The 66th Annual Grammy Awards was Billy Joel, with his hit song “You May Be Right.”

Noah Grayson
Meet Noah! Noah Grayson is a junior and in his first year in Journalism. He joined Journalism this year to explore his capabilities as a writer and researcher. Noah plans on writing a variety of articles for the West Press. He enjoys being with friends, listening to and creating music, and traveling to new and exciting places.