Lakota West Boys Still in GMC Title Contention as They Play Late January Basketball

Heading into December, there were many questions about what the new Lakota West Basketball head coach, Kelvin Moss, would be for the program. Now being able to look back with a retrospective lens, fans and players alike on the west side seem to be happy with the hire.

Currently, the Firebirds hold a 9-5 record with a 6-3 record in conference play. Except for a few tough losses, such as Sycamore and Middletown back-to-back early on, the Firebirds have been able to handle most of their tough schedule. Many fans thought things would be challenging this year between the departure of Coach Jim Leon and key seniors like Nate Dudukovich and Christopher Barber, but most of the team’s early successes can be attributed to new faces on the floor rather than the returning talent.

With the departure of Nate Dudukovich after the 2022-2023 season, the Firebirds knew that they would need a new face or two to step up and take on the role of the team’s star. What ended up happening, however, was more of a balanced lineup – a lineup that has more consistency than star power.

Isaiah Meade-Moss, for example, only averages 9.9 points per game as the team’s leading scorer, but he has been a top performer for this team because of his ability to step up in big moments. There have also been a few freshmen who have been able to take a big leap this season, including Josh Tyson, who averages 7.9 points per game, and Bryce Curry, who averages just under 7. 

When asked about the team’s new look this season, Lakota West sophomore Alex Dufek said he felt confident about the next few years after watching this group of young players.

“We will … have a great future with young stars like Bryce Curry and Tyson Davis,” Dufek remarked.

“I also enjoyed watching this team’s explosive amount of athleticism.”

Not all of the key players are new to West Chester, however. LJ Green has been a force inside the paint for Lakota West this season while the team is coping with the loss of Luka Gilbert with an injury. Gilbert, the 6’8 center and a top football recruit in the area, left a large hole to fill, but LJ Green has taken control of the inside all year long, averaging almost 8 points a game while playing solid defense.

West is getting set to take on the Princeton Vikings in game two of a doubleheader at Lakota West tonight, where they will have a chance to grab much-needed momentum as they prepare for a big month of February. Lakota West, tied for third in the GMC, will play all of the top 3 teams in the conference within the first few weeks of the month and have a chance to fight their way to the top of the GMC.

Nick Johnson
Nick Johnson, Editor-in-Chief
Nick Johnson is a third-year journalism student in his senior year. Nick is very involved around the school, as a peer counseling lead team member and doing PA announcing for the baseball team in the spring. He is also a leader of the Lakota West Student Broadcasting Club. Nick enjoys writing about sports, specifically football, as he is a huge NFL fan. Specifically, he is a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions. He also does writing for other sports, and you can read all of his articles and more here on the West Press.