Which HBCUs Are the Best?
Which HBCUs Are the Best?
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 

The Bolden Era

The Bolden Era

Football at Lakota West has always been a big deal. However, until the 2019 season, the recent students and alumni haven’t had much to cheer for. Prior to 2019, Lakota West football hasn’t had a winning season since 2015. To put that in perspective, the seniors this year were in 7th grade. The current students at Lakota West got a little taste of success last year, but this 2020 season, according to head coach Tom Bolden, “We want to win every game.”

So far, that statement has held true. Lakota West now carries a 3-0 record with wins against Colerain, Hamilton, and Sycamore. The 10-0 win against Colerain snapped Colerain’s 83-game GMC win streak, which was started over 10 years ago by none other than Tom Bolden, who states that the win against Colerain “was one of the finer moments I’ve had as a head coach.” Bolden grew up in Colerain, he attended the high school, and he was on the coaching staff there from 2002-2018. “There were a lot of mixed emotions,” Bolden recalls, “It was very emotional for me, but it was very satisfying.”

However, one win does not define a season. The very experienced head coach made it clear that right after one win, “we’re already looking for the next.” Bolden told his players at practice, “What you did last Friday night was special, but that was last Friday night. We’re moving on.” This team aims to not become complacent with where they are, and get better with each and every practice.

One facet of the game that Bolden specifically thinks needs work is execution at a high level. He didn’t seem too worried about it though, stating that “it’s early in the season, the first time going against a real opponent,” adding that “usually in the football world your biggest improvement is from week one to week two.” The football team proved Bolden right last Friday and the Friday before that, blowing out Sycamore 33-0 and Hamilton 40-13. On the other side, Bolden states that the team’s biggest strength is how physical they are. This team is bigger, stronger, faster, tougher, and more athletic than ever before. Be on the lookout for Bolden and the team as they look to run the table the rest of the season.

1
View Comments (1)

• M

Maddie ProhaskaSep 25, 2020 at 8:59 pm

y’all killed this

Reply