Making History: Black Excellence Edition #2

With Black History Month coming to a close, it seems fitting to do another Making History Series of Black Excellence. These four people are specialists in their fields and are often called trailblazers. 

Misty Copeland is the first female African American dancer at the American Ballet Theatre. Her career first took off at the age of 13 when she was recognized on her middle school dance team. She went on to train at the San Pedro Ballet School. When she arrived at the ABT, she was the only African American of 80 dancers, proving that Black people can be known for ballet too, and not just hip hop. She has been an inspiration and role model to young Black females all over the country. 

Ketanji Brown Jackson is the first African American female to become a Supreme Court Justice. After graduating from Harvard Law, Ketanji worked in private practice and had three federal clerkships. In 2021, she was appointed to the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia which got her the attention of President Biden landing her position as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.

Chadwick Boseman was a recently popular actor known for the lead role in a Marvel Franchise: Black Panther. Chadwick played the superhero Prince T’Challa in Black Panther, becoming the first black superhero who has their own movie in the MCU. An inspiration and testament to change in the entertainment industry. While filming Black Panther, Chadwick was battling cancer and sadly passed away before he could film the sequel Wakanda Forever in 2020. 

Marvin Gaye also known as the Prince of Soul,  is an African American singer and songwriter. What made him so special was his wide vocal range which required great skill and strength. Marvin’s hit songs were created in times of war and unrest, often a political statement for harmony and unity. Some of his hit songs include “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Let’s Get On,” and “What’s Going On.” 

Jordan Otabil
Jordan Otabil, Website Staff
Jordan is a very outgoing and warm person! She is a junior and this is her second year in Journalism. She is a part of the HOPE Squad, is Secretary of Student Government, and loves to help others. She enjoys participating in Colorguard and in her free time she loves to sleep.  Jordan enjoys writing food reviews as well as book reviews. Her favorite mantra is “Be in the Moment”