Which HBCUs Are the Best?
Which HBCUs Are the Best?
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 

Buckeye Brief V: President Trump Visits Dayton, OH

President Trump visited Dayton, Ohio last Saturday, March 16th, for a rally in support of Senate Candidate Bernie Moreno, who has the Fmr. President’s endorsement amid the neck and neck Republican Primary.  The Fmr. President welcomed by a huge crowd on the tarmac and was joined by Ohio Senator JD Vance, two of Ohio’s Congressmen Jim Jordan and Warren Davidson, South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem, Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost, and others who showed up in support for the candidates.

President Trump started with a salute to the Jan. 6th “patriots” who are political “hostages” and then continued expressing his concern over the tornadoes that hit the state last Thursday.

“I want to say a very special hello to Dayton because Dayton turned out to be a big victory for Trump and that was good for all of us.  But I’m thrilled to be back with the proud hard-working patriots of Ohio – I won this state and you won this state”, President Trump said, “but before going any further I want to express our love for everyone touched by the terrible tornadoes that hit your state – they really hit it hard – our hearts are with the families that lost a home or loved one and it’s a very serious situation that’s going on right now so we are all praying for them and I know everybody here – this is a big crowd – and I know everybody here feels the same way”, he continued.

With Tuesday’s Primary election just around the corner, the Fmr. President joined the high profile Ohio and US politicians to push for Cleveland native, Bernie Moreno’s senate campaign, while the President played hatchet man against another senate candidate, state senator Matt Dolan.

“So Bernie’s running against a weak RINO (Republican in Name Only) named Matt Dolan”, President Trump said, “He’s trying to become the next Mitt Romney.  I think Mitt Romney is his hero”.

Moreno received loud cheers from the audience saying, “This flag on my lapel pin says that I have an obligation to the United States of America”, after blasting State Senator Dolan’s position that the US has an “obligation” to fulfill to Ukraine, and how Ohioans can’t be “distracted” by the issues of our southern border.

President Trump made headlines following the event for using the word “bloodbath” in reference to what would happen if he weren’t elected.  Media jumped on the section of the sentence arguing President Trump threatened another insurrection.  On X (formerly Twitter) however, conservative pundits quickly noted the context from which the quote was taken.

Fmr. Vice President and Presidential Candidate Mike Pence, who recently stated he would not endorse President Trump or Biden, came to President Trump’s defense.

“The President was clearly talking about the impact of imports devastating the American automotive industry”, the Fmr. VP said on Face the Nation.

The full quote from President Trump was in the context of the automobile industry and how the US cannot be complacent amid an ever-increasingly competitive world economy.  Even the definition of ‘bloodbath’ in context, means “a period of disastrous loss or reversal: A few mutual funds performed well in the general bloodbath of the stock market.”, which applies directly to what President Trump was saying.  The full context of the quote goes as follows:

“Those big, monster car manufacturing plants that you’re building in Mexico right now, if you think you’re going to get that, you think you’re not going to hire Americans, and you’re going to sell us.  Now, we’re going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you’re not going to be able to sell those guys if I get elected. Now, if I don’t get elected, it’s going to be a bloodbath for the whole – that’s gonna be the least of it. It’s going to be a bloodbath for the country. That’ll be the least of it.”

The President also spoke on issues from the southern border, to the windy day that was affecting his teleprompter.  The hour-and-a-half-long speech can be found in its entirety, here.

About the Writer
Benjamin Nguyen
Ben is a Junior at Lakota West High School.  There he serves as the Junior Class Representative of Student Government as well as plays for the Lakota West boys Tennis team.  This is his second year of Journalism and usually writes his passions and interests for the website.  He likes to talk politics, history, philosophy, and theology, as well as just casually talking with good friends.  He is South Vietnamese American, Christian, and 16 years old.  While Ben was born in Columbus, he considers his hometown Hamilton, OH, as he lived there for the first 10 years of his life.  

“The first step towards failure is bringing it up”

Ben Nguyen