Which HBCUs Are the Best?
Which HBCUs Are the Best?
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 

Trekking the Tracks: The Proposed Sale of the Cincinnati Southern Railway

The first public meeting to consider the Cincinnati Southern Railway was held in 1836. Eleven years after the Fergeson Act was approved, the train would complete its first 337-mile journey from Cincinnati to Chattanooga. Recently, there have been talks of the railway being sold. 

The Cincinnati Southern Railway is part of a larger conversation regarding whether the city should maintain ownership. The question is: if it is sold, what could the money mean for the people of Cincinnati? A potential buyer, the Norfolk Southern Corp, has recently gained a poor reputation in the state, following the catastrophic train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio. This incident left toxic chemical waste leaking for weeks at a time, despite a clean-up effort and investigation. The East Palestine incident has left opponents of the sale concerned about selling to Norfolk Southern. Supporters of the deal, however, have projected that the railway could become a vital contributor to the economy and that it will only grow in value. 

The plan for the railway is to sell for $1.6 billion and dedicate the proceeds towards a trust. It’s estimated that the investment proceeds could range from $50-$70 million per year, which is double what the railway brings now. It’s also been promised that the money from this railway sale will go to fixing roads, and sidewalks, and ensuring the city has clean water. All projects are projected to be done without raising taxes. 

About the Writers
Shahed Musa
Meet Shahed Musa! Shahed is a first-year senior journalist. She loves to hang out with her family, watch movies, and shop. She’s from Jordan but was born and raised here. She loves listening to Taylor Swift and Harry styles. She wants to write about mental health for the West press. After High school, she plans on majoring in pre-childhood education and minoring in ASL.
Shahed Al Ali was born in Syria, then moved to Lebanon at the age of five. She lived there for 10 years, after which she returned to the US this past June. The most important people in her life are her family and friends. She likes to draw from a very young age, but her drawing has only evolved a little. She also likes to play basketball and puzzles. Her achievements include success in her classes at school, helping her mother at home, and translating for the family because they do not know much English. Shahed likes to collect information around the world, including customs, traditions, culture, systems, and law. She likes to know everything; She believes that the perspective of journalism is accuracy, respect for the privacy of others, working in public, and being responsible. She joined The West Press because she wanted to offer advertisements and news to all people through the use of new ideas and technologies. She likes to enjoy her hobbies in her spare time. Her favorite quote is:        “A person cannot develop if he does not try something he is not used to.”
Noah Grayson
Meet Noah! Noah Grayson is a junior and in his first year in Journalism. He joined Journalism this year to explore his capabilities as a writer and researcher. Noah plans on writing a variety of articles for the West Press. He enjoys being with friends, listening to and creating music, and traveling to new and exciting places.