Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
May 9, 2024
Senior Events To Look Forward To
Senior Events To Look Forward To
May 9, 2024
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West

Junior Fears of the Year

Junior Fears of the Year

As we approach the end of the first quarter, things have become incredibly hectic –especially for juniors. Junior year is one of the hardest years of high school as it prepares students for their time after high school. Whether that future is college or entering the workforce, here are a few tips to ensure that your junior year goes as smoothly as possible! 

Stay on Task 

Time management is key! Plan out time for everything that needs to be done. Don’t just think about what needs to get done for the next day, but also the week, or even month after. Some suggest a physical planner, while others like online to-do lists. It’s really up to the person–find what works best and stick to it.

Another thing: grades! This year’s grades are more important than any others. Colleges will see these as the most recent grades, meaning if you’re struggling in class, don’t be afraid to ask for help! It may not always seem like it, but your teachers are looking out for your best interests!

Prepping for Testing

Standardized tests can be really stressful at times. The two main standardized tests for juniors are the ACT and SAT. It’s highly recommended that students take practice tests before taking real tests. That way, people are able to get a feel for what the actual test will be. Lakota West students can look on the canvas course labeled ACT/SAT Prep and Resources for help. There are also practice test booklets in the office.

If people are uncertain about which test to take, there are multiple quizzes located on the canvas page that will tell students which test is best suited for them. There is no limit on taking these standardized tests. Students should take the test however many times they want until they are satisfied with their score. 

Your Future is Now 

Adult life is coming up in just a few years. Students should start focusing on what they want to do with their lives.

If college is the next step, consider these four topics: Where do you want to go? In-state or out-of-state?  Who do you want to be around, a small community where you know everyone or a large campus where there are so many people?  What do you want to study? Does that college have the best program of study for that major? Finally, how much money do you want to spend? Do you need scholarships or loans? Do your parents have a college fund for you? 

Mrs. Durling, one of the school’s counselors, advises  “[to] visit colleges in the spring so that you’ll get a true sense of what college feels like during the day.”

If it’s not college, take some time to do research on what it is that you want to do. Take classes or trade school to find what’s right for you.

Junior year can be tough. It may feel like there’s too much riding on one specific year, but don’t let that pressure consume everything. Junior year may be hard but for many, it pays off for their senior year which can feel like a breeze. 

“Make sure you take time for yourself to just breathe” -Mrs.Durling 

Jordan Otabil
Jordan Otabil, Website Staff
Jordan is a very outgoing and warm person! She is a junior and this is her second year in Journalism. She is a part of the HOPE Squad, is Secretary of Student Government, and loves to help others. She enjoys participating in Colorguard and in her free time she loves to sleep.  Jordan enjoys writing food reviews as well as book reviews. Her favorite mantra is “Be in the Moment”