Goodbye, Sports!

Goodbye%2C+Sports%21

As athletes receive offers to play collegiately, more athletes will be leaving the sports they’ve played competitively for year.   

The first commonality I noticed is that many seniors will try to continue to play their sport. Whether casually or seriously, several seniors still want to hold their sport as a beloved pass time. As Danny Broussanrd said,“I’ll still practice with my friends, because some of them are playing college soccer.”

These athletes also noted that sports are a way of connecting with others, and realize that their sport can give them the chance to meet new people now that they will soon be leaving friends and aquaintances behind. Many say that finding rec leagues both in college and in the community will help connect them with others who like the same sport.

Some athletes, however, are saying goodbye to their sport for good. Each had valid reasons,  Foster Gibson noted that ”I don’t think I will regret not playing because in college I’m going to need a lot of time to study.” Seth Warren said that “…there comes a point in time where you realize that there’s more to life than just a sport…” and wants to focus on other aspects.

In life, you have to decide what’s important and for some their sport gets left out but that doesn’t mean these people will regret their decision. When I asked if these people feel they will regret leaving their sport, none of the responses from people discontinuing practice said they would regret their decision. One person, in fact, was almost happy to be leaving the responsibility of her swimming career. 

Even though seniors have to move into the next stage of their life, sports can come with them. Previous sports experience can help them find new friends and give them a positive influence as they go out into the world. Those who are leaving behind their sport altogether don’t have to fear either, the choice to move on from practicing a sport is important and their is no right answer.