FC Cincinnati Snap Losing Streak, Beats Atlanta United 2-1

In a game riddled with multiple streaks, it was FC Cincinnati to got the edge over Atlanta United, winning 2-1.

Heading into the game, Atlanta United was unbeaten at home in 2024 and had been unbeaten in their last nine games on turf fields. FCC, on the other hand, was dealing with a two-game losing streak coming into this one, their first time losing two straight since 2022.

The first half offered many chances for both sides, but the first half would come and go with both sides unable to score or even come close to a goal. It would take until the 59th minute when Atlanta United’s star midfielder Thiago Almada would bend the ball just past FCC goalkeeper Alec Kann for the night’s first goal.

FCC still struggled massively with the finishing problems that they dealt with all season, with two more shots coming off the post today. It took wingback Luca Orellano slotting his first goal of the season for FCC to get back on track.

Just two minutes later FCC will take the lead. This time it would come from a defender Deandre Yedlin putting in a perfect cross to midfielder Luciano Acosta, who snuck between two Atlanta defenders and could easily slot it past Atlanta’s goalkeeper.

With this victory, FCC rose to third in the Eastern Conference and 7th in the supporter’s shield, welcoming Colorado Rapids to the TQL Stadium in their next game. Atlanta on the other hand, went down to 7th in the Eastern Conference and 16th in the Supporters Shield, with their next game against Chicago Fire on Saturday as well.

Ethan McDonald
Ethan is a Junior at Lakota West and is a second-year journalism student. He has a massive amount of knowledge in soccer, with his best region being North and Central America. He is also a member of the Lakota West Broadcast Club. In his free time, Ethan enjoys listening to music, whilst watching and researching soccer to continue advancing his knowledge of the sport. Ethan joined the West Press to share his interest and love for soccer with the people of Lakota, whilst also improving his journalism skills, as his future goal is to become a Soccer Journalist.