Baseball Through the Years

Baseball Through the Years

The term baseball can be dated to 1744, in John Newbery’s children’s book: A Little Pretty Pocket-Book. The book has a brief poem and a picture explaining a game called baseball. A fun fact: the bases in the picture book are marked by wooden posts instead of bags and flat home plates like those used in baseball today. The book was very popular in England and went on to be mass-produced and reprinted all across North America.

Early History 

According to the baseball celebrity, Alexander J. Cartwright, an amateur player in New York City organized the New York Knickerbocker Baseball Club in 1845, which made a set of rules for baseball. Many of these rookie-made rules are still being used today.  A significant change made in their set of rules is that a runner could not be benched by being hit with a thrown ball, he can only get out by being tagged with it.  This change allowed for harder balls to be used during games, and by consequence, allowed for more sensational hits to be made. 

Something many Baseball lovers may not even know is that President Franklin D. Roosevelt saved Baseball from being shut down because of the war.  He felt that baseball was too important for the country’s morale to be abandoned due to the ongoing conflict. Baseball was a way for worried Americans to release some stress amidst growing tensions following Pearl Harbor, baseball teams coined themselves, “the national nerve tonic.” 

Shahed Al Ali was born in Syria, then moved to Lebanon at the age of five. She lived there for 10 years, after which she returned to the US this past June. The most important people in her life are her family and friends. She likes to draw from a very young age, but her drawing has only evolved a little. She also likes to play basketball and puzzles. Her achievements include success in her classes at school, helping her mother at home, and translating for the family because they do not know much English. Shahed likes to collect information around the world, including customs, traditions, culture, systems, and law. She likes to know everything; She believes that the perspective of journalism is accuracy, respect for the privacy of others, working in public, and being responsible. She joined The West Press because she wanted to offer advertisements and news to all people through the use of new ideas and technologies. She likes to enjoy her hobbies in her spare time. Her favorite quote is:        “A person cannot develop if he does not try something he is not used to.”