Dear Superintendent Matt Miller

Dear Superintendent Mattew Miller,

I know that I am only the greatest and most humble West Press writer Lakota West has to offer, but I think even I can speak for the entirety of the Lakota District when I say that we saw your tweet regarding “atrocious weather” on Monday, February 14, and we think that closing the schools would be the best decision for the district. 

Let’s face it, Mr. Miler, we all know what weather you are referring to. It is the massive storm of orange and black that has pummeled this city for the last few weeks after 31 years of being completely dormant. I mean seriously, I know I’m only 15 years old, but even I have felt enough pain from Lakota,… I mean the Bengals, to last 31 years. Not to mention, this IS the first time in forever that this city has had anything to show for it. I think all of Lakota can agree that staying up late, stuffing our faces with greasy chicken wings, and watching Joe Shiesty throwing bombs for touchdown passes to the man, the myth, the legend Ja’marr Chase are far more important than learning whatever the heck trigonometry even is!

In fact, in my expert opinion, I think that taking time off on Monday would be more educational than going to school. After all, it would be a good lesson for kindergarteners learning about the food chain, because the Bengals are greater than the Rams. How about first graders learning to count? They can count how many tears get shed by Rams fans on Sunday night after the Bengals beat the ever-living dog excrement out of Los Angeles. So help all of us out, Miller. Call a snowDEY and do the entire district a solid, would you? I feel like we’ve all been jipped enough by the 15 missed snow days that have piled up over the past few years.

3
Nick Johnson
Nick Johnson, Editor-in-Chief
Nick Johnson is a third-year journalism student in his senior year. Nick is very involved around the school, as a peer counseling lead team member and doing PA announcing for the baseball team in the spring. He is also a leader of the Lakota West Student Broadcasting Club. Nick enjoys writing about sports, specifically football, as he is a huge NFL fan. Specifically, he is a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions. He also does writing for other sports, and you can read all of his articles and more here on the West Press.

• K

Kaden FletcherFeb 2, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Totally agree that we should have it off. No way i’m trying to go learn the next morning nor will any of my teachers want to teach after the big game win or lose.

• M

Mike HalpinFeb 2, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Hi, this is lovely message of team spirit and being excited for our Bengals. As a Bengals fan I am excited for what this means for our community and our city. Hey maybe Mike Brown finally gets the boys and indoor practice facility.

However, have you consider how closing 23 schools which hold 17,000 students may displace and negatively affect some of our neighbors, students and staff along with working families that rely on the partnership with Lakota to help them while they can’t look out for their children during the work day?

Have you considered the undue burden that puts on those parents to have to find arrangements not due to a freak snow storm but just because “it would be fun”.

Have you considered that similar to snow/weather closures, hourly staff may not be guaranteed pay for hours not worked because of a school closure?

Have you considered that families and students with meal insecurity may get their best two meals of the day from the school cafeterias?

Have you considered that school is likely closed this week and has already closed once this year for staffing issues and this may not be the best use of calamity days.

With all that I do see a reason to review a possible closure but on the day after the game. Nothing occurs the day after the game but if they win it will occur later that week.

What I would propose is a wager. If the Bengals win the Super Bowl and host a parade in Cincinnati for the team then Lakota decides if that is considered a calamity day and necessary to close schools on the day of that parade as many families will likely want to be there to cheer on their team and looking to take off work and pull their kids from school to celebrate the first Super Bowl win in franchise history.

• J

Joe BrrrFeb 8, 2022 at 3:22 pm

All due respect, it’s not the writer’s responsibility to consider those things, it’s Matt Miller’s. Who Dey.