Winners and Losers of the NFL Season: Second Quarter

The first half of the NFL season has certainly brought a lot of surprises. With another half to go, fans are starting to look back and judge their team’s performance in the first half. However, what is arguably more important is how teams reacted to how their first quarter played out. Here are some winners and losers around the league as of week 9.

Winner: The Dallas Cowboys

Yes, they did just lose to Denver this week, but they still sit at an impressive 6-2 record. The only loss prior to the ugly game against Denver was in Tampa Bay against the Bucs, which there really shouldn’t be any shame in. Trevon Diggs has continued to attract attention around the league, the offense is still rolling, and everything seemed to be going well up until Denver. As an avid Cowboys hater, I despise that I have to put them up here, but they deserve it. I feel like I need to cut off my fingers after typing that.

Loser: The Carolina Panthers

And to think they were on the winning side of things last time around. I take back everything I said, Sam Darnold sucks now. All I can really say is that I’m sorry for any potential cursing I may have caused last month by writing that article. I still think Carolina can turn things around, but It would be a whole lot easier if they didn’t drop 4 straight games after starting 3-0. Maybe it’s a good thing they didn’t trade for Deshaun Watson. After all, they probably would have sold their future for slightly better mediocrity.

Loser: The Denver Broncos

They are in the exact same boat as Carolina, except they traded a Denver household name in Von Miller to the Rams. Sadly, I think that means Denver is done after what looked like a promising start. If you are a Denver fan, just know it could be worse. At least you aren’t a Houston fan

Winner: The Tennessee Titans

A month ago this team looked like one of the worst teams in the league, or at least the weirdest. However, that narrative would change in quite a hurry. The Titans are coming off a huge win in Los Angeles against the Rams and now sit at a promising 7-2 record atop the AFC South. Don’t mess this up Tennessee, there is still time to go back to the dreadful curse of 9-7 or I guess 9-8 at this point.

Loser: The Detroit Lions

No, they are not my big loser, even though they are the only team in the NFL without a win. They could be at least 4-4 right now, but it seems as if some sort of divine-like intervention is keeping them from not being screwed every game. Sure, their season is basically over, but keep your head high Detroit, because as a Cincinnati fan I can tell you “there’s always next year.”

Loser: The Seattle Seahawks

After losing Russell Wilson to a finger injury against the Rams in week 5, the Seahawks aren’t exactly a force to be reckoned with right now. Sure, the team will probably be way better than they are right now when Russell comes back, but for now, the 3-5 record they have posted is far below what was anticipated, thus making them a loser.

Winner: The New England Patriots

Not much to say here other than Mac Jones seems to be figuring things out and this team keeps on winning. The Patriots have won 4 of their last 5 games which has brought them over .500 with a 5-4 record. Sure, the division isn’t helping, but a win is a win, it doesn’t matter who you play. I really hope this isn’t the start of a new dynasty.

Biggest Winner: The Arizona Cardinals

They won this spot in the first quarter, and they have won it again here. The Cardinals picked up loss number one against the Green Bay Packers in a close Thursday Night game, but the Cardinals probably should have won that game (thanks for taking AJ Green off of Cincinnati’s hands). They aren’t just the biggest winner because 8-1 is the best record though. The Cardinals absolutely dominate all of the teams that they should dominate. Keep it going Arizona, I’m rooting for you.

Honorable Mentions:

In my mind, there were so many losers this quarter so I figured I could throw in some losers that weren’t notable enough to make the cut. Here are the honorable mentions: The Buffalo Bills for only winning 5 games when they should arguably be undefeated right now, not to mention the loss to Jacksonville. The Cincinnati Bengals for tanking their 5-2 record by losing to Mike White and then the Cleveland Browns. The Atlanta Falcons for continuing to be mediocre just like they have been since 28-3. The Chicago Bears for losing their last 4 games. The Minnesota Vikings for continuing to choke games when it matters. Then, Odell Beckham Jr. No, this list isn’t only for teams. OBJ is such a drama queen and 100% deserves to be cut. I feel pity for any team that signs him.

The Biggest Loser: The Kansas City Chiefs

Let’s be honest, Kansas City may be 5-4 right now, but they do not deserve it in the slightest. Not only did they lose 4 very winnable games, but the ones they win they can only scrape by in. Forget what I said last month about holding the Chiefs to a higher standard, this team is no better than the Vikings in my mind. The Chiefs couldn’t even beat the Aaron Rodgers-less Green Bay Packers by more than 6 points, and they shouldn’t have won that game in the first place. It’s not just the swiss cheese defense either, what has gotten into Patrick Mahomes? Did the Madden cover curse finally catch up with him? To think he went from clear-cut MVP to just barely decent in a matter of 2 seasons is mind-boggling. I bet that half a billion dollar contract is looking great right about now, right Chiefs fans? I’m glad the mediocre Chargers hold first place in the AFC West at this point, they just deserve it more.

1
Nick Johnson
Nick Johnson, Editor-in-Chief
Nick Johnson is a third-year journalism student in his senior year. Nick is very involved around the school, as a peer counseling lead team member and doing PA announcing for the baseball team in the spring. He is also a leader of the Lakota West Student Broadcasting Club. Nick enjoys writing about sports, specifically football, as he is a huge NFL fan. Specifically, he is a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals and Detroit Lions. He also does writing for other sports, and you can read all of his articles and more here on the West Press.

• K

Kaden FletcherDec 3, 2021 at 12:08 pm

As a life long Seahawks fan it disappoints me to see the hawks like this. Sadly I see how the current trends are going. I hope next year we cna turn it around.