West Press Tries: Golf

The Firebird Spirit is tightly knit throughout Lakota West, but nowhere is it stronger than in the athletics, especially the Lakota West men’s golf team. The Firebirds have strung together a strong senior core, with Jacob Bitonte, Luke Daignault, Jacob Brumfield, and John Wambaugh. The Firebirds most recently competed in the Mason Invitational, with the leading scorer being Jacob Bitonte, shooting an amazing 5 over par,  as the Firebirds continue on their path towards success this season. 

When asked about season goals, it was all evident that they had one unanimous answer: to make it out of districts as a team. These boys put maximum effort into not only their drives, chips, and putts, but also into being a team as a whole. I got the opportunity to experience practice with the team myself, and I have never felt such a positive atmosphere. One of the biggest things Coach Chris Conway stressed in my interview was the team’s ability to find that balance of competing in the heat of the moment while also keeping their composure. When asked about this he said that “it’s really fun to be able to coach these young men, and watch them battle it out amongst themselves in both practices and competitions, and still be able to walk off the green laughing and smiling.” The core group of senior boys doesn’t only add leadership to the team but also increases the overall competitive factor. The bunch of boys, combined with the environment of the team all-around, shows a great Firebird Spirit. As the boys begin to close into the second half of the season, with the postseason not far ahead, you can feel everyone come together. Be on the watch for updates on the boy’s golf team as they make their drives towards another successful season.