REGISTER TO VOTE!

Dan Gialluca

2020 is here and, like it or not, it’s an election year. That’s right, we are about to select the person who will lead our country and have their hands on the nuclear codes for the next four years. This year, most seniors and some juniors will find themselves in a unique position- they will be able to vote for the first time in the upcoming election. If you will turn 18 on or before November 3rd, 2020 you are eligible to fulfill your civic duty and cast your vote in the primary and general elections.

In order to do this, you must first register to vote. To register to vote you have to gather two things: the last four digits of your Social Security number and your driver’s license/state ID number. If you don’t know your Social Security number, your best bet is to ask your parents. Your driver’s license/federal ID number can be found right above your date of birth on your license/federal ID. After you have all this, you just have to visit the Ohio Register to Vote Website and input all your information. You can find the link here: https://olvr.ohiosos.gov/

The deadline to register to vote in the Democratic primary on March 17th is February 18th- so don’t wait. If you don’t plan on voting in the Democratic primary election, but still want to vote in the general election on November 3rd, 2020, you have until October 13th to register.

Voting is your way to make your voice heard. The United States’ voter turnout has been historically low compared to other countries; this is because many young people don’t think that their vote matters. When you have millions of young people with this mindset, you end up with a large chunk of the election-eligible population not participating. If you will be 18 before November 3rd, 2020, it is now your responsibility to do your research and cast your vote.