Club Corner – September 2019

Academic Quiz Team (Miranda Cockrell)

AQT competes against other GMC schools and contributes to the All-Sports Trophy.

Practice will start 10/7.

Sign up here: https://forms.gle/QQ6P1wTrxvQh5yRQ7

Team info is here: https://tinyurl.com/y2993zn5

Curling Club (Stephen Meyer)

“The curling club has its next meeting by next month in October – a few days before the new curling building officially opens in West Chester, OH. We are waiting for the curling building to be completely constructed.”

FCCLA (Pati Nelson)

“Family Career Community Leaders of America: Our Mission: To promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education. Focusing on the multiple roles of a family member, wage earner, and community leader, members develop skills for life through character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and career preparation.”

Fellowship of Christian Students (Mary Mahoney)

“The Fellowship of Christian Students is a group of students that meets together weekly to uplift each other and help one another grow in our faith. We begin our time with a student-led devotional and then go through the ups and downs of everyone’s weeks, celebrating the positive and motivating each other through the not-so-great situations. Overall, it is a great place to be encouraged and meet amazing and supportive friends.  Meets every Tuesday after school in room 146.”

French Club (J. Hodges)

“French Club: First meeting on Sept 30th in room 104.  Join us for snacks and games to find out more about French club!  Club Card needed for second meeting.”

GSTA (J. Hodges)

“GSTA meeting Sept 24th: We will be celebrating Bisexual Awareness Day (Sept 23rd) and Ally Week (Sept 24-28) in our first programmed meeting of the year.  We will be having a t-shirt design contest, Artists have until Oct. 11th to turn in their digital or paper t-shirt design to be voted on by the officers and members.  T-shirts will be white, in order to be tye-died at a subsequent meeting, they will cost $15 and sales will be held from Oct 11th-Oct 22nd.”

Hope Squad (Tricia Becker)

“Suicide studies suggest that adolescents who are at risk for suicide will confide in their peers instead of in adults. This is why we have members of Hope Squad.  Teens are often the first to know about suicide risks in friends, and many choose not to tell an adult. Always speak up if you see someone struggling by referring them to a Hope Squad member or the guidance office.  Hope Squad focuses on improving school climate and promoting connectedness and positivity to help reduce risk of suicide.”

HOSA (Daniel Prochaska)

“HOSA (Future Health Professionals) had its kickoff meeting on September 11th.  We welcomed greater than 80 new and returning members. The meeting focused on an introduction to HOSA and gave important information about future meeting and competition dates.”

Junior Board 2021 (Kristen Henley)

“Junior Board is underway with Prom ideas already! We expect it to be a fun beautiful event as always…”

Peer Counseling (Bob Emig)

“LWHS Peer Counselors will be holding their next group meeting on Thursday, 10/10/2019 at 2:45 pm in our Community Room (located above Mr. Card’s office).  Looking down the road, Peer Counselors will have an opportunity to get involved in our first volunteer event on Saturday, 11/16/2019 with People Working Cooperatively (PWC).  This is a tremendous opportunity for Peer Counselors to help low-income, elderly and disabled homeowners prepare their homes and yards for winter.”

Senior Board (Allison Billups)

“Senior board students have been working hard on designing the senior t-shirt. Look for order forms to go out very soon. Also, seniors don’t forget to pick up your candy bar from the cart in the cafeteria when it is your birthday month! This will be set up during the last Friday of every month. Show your ID and get your candy!”

Spanish Club (Allison Billups)

“Come learn about Hispanic Culture and Spanish speaking countries monthly at the Spanish club. There is always food and fun! All levels are welcome! Bring your club card.”

Student Government (Kimberley Miller)

“Student government is a fundamental part of the Lakota West community.  SGA is responsible for most of the fundraising efforts and drives school initiatives, morale, and activities.  Last but not least, SGA is responsible for providing the biggest in-house event of the year in Homecoming. SGA brings money into the school that is used to bolster the profile of West internally as well as in the community.  It is the job of student government to build a positive school community while also giving back to those in the building and in the surrounding areas. We welcome any and all students to our meetings after school.”

Theatre (Kim Eldridge) 

“We are excited to announce Lakota West Theatre’s Season of Tradition!”

It’s a Wonderful Life, A Radio Play – Dec. 6 & 7 at 7:30 PM

Fiddler on the Roof – April 3 & 4 at 7:30 PM and April 5 at 3 PM

Richard II in April

An Evening of One Acts – April 30 at 6 PM

Visit www.LakotaWestTheatre.net for more information.

“Parents and students can find out more information at the Drama Mama and Papa meeting Mon,. Oct. 14 in the theatre at 6 PM.”

1

• G

Guy WarmanSep 30, 2019 at 12:03 pm

Great article.