Which HBCUs Are the Best?
Which HBCUs Are the Best?
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 
5 Ways to Help Your Dog be Happier 

Student Ambassadors of Lakota West

Student Ambassadors of Lakota West

Every school year 26 students are elected to become West ambassadors. The election generally starts the students’ sophomore year of high school and finishes their senior year. 

Student Ambassadors at West are given the opportunity to be the voice and face of what a role model should look like.

What is a Student ambassador?

Student ambassadors are chosen to represent their school to prospective students and their families. A student ambassador’s job may only consist of greeting the new students and leading them on tours around the school but, here at West, the job is much more! 

A West Ambassador’s job varies from introducing them to other students, giving information about after-school activities like sports and clubs, showing them how to be involved, and many more. It’s not only important for our ambassadors to make the students feel welcome, but it’s also important to let them know they have a friend.  

Spanish teacher, Senora Becker, and American Sign Language teacher, Mrs. Nicol, are both the head leaders of the Student Ambassadors. Senora Becker got to share her perspective and thoughts on the group.

“I think our ambassadors were chosen because they had certain character traits that positively represent Lakota West. We have a wide variety of personalities and they give a good representation of what it means to be a Lakota West student. The best thing about seeing the ambassadors is their willingness to participate, their eagerness to try new things, and mostly just how comfortable they are being leaders to other students and parents.”

West Ambassador, senior Abigal Farler also shared her experience. 

“To be a student ambassador here at Lakota, it’s all about kindness and being available to the new students that come not having a clue on what’s going on. My overall experience as one has been great! Seeing how welcoming everyone is probably the best part.” 

What else do the West ambassadors do?

The West Ambassadors participate in more than just helping new students around the school. These past months, the ambassadors have volunteered in many events. A few would be: Sophomore Orientation, Future Fire Bird Night, Extracurricular Night, Freshman 101, and many more. 

Being an ambassador isn’t only about being the first to help someone whether they’re new or if they’re just a regular peer,  it’s about representing what a good person should look like and being that person people can look up to. At West, our student ambassadors truly show what it means to be a good person not only in school but out of school as well.