How to Keep Away from Winter Sadness

How to Keep Away from Winter Sadness

Winter is a slow, cold, and less active time of the year. People tend to feel sad and less motivated to do everyday things. 

Relax- Winter is a time to be calm and relaxed. Watch movies, stay in, and be by yourself. Giving your body a break will help you stabilize your mental and physical body. Summer is about running around and being super active, while winter is about being with yourself and relaxing. Make sure to set aside time for these things.

Eat Right- Fueling your body with healthy and good foods is important. Eating healthy and nutritious foods will help your body maintain a good balance. You need to keep your body healthy and get all the right vitamins. A sophomore at Lakota West High School had this to say about eating right:

“I feel like when I eat right I feel right.”

Make sure you are eating right so you can feel the best! 

Stay Hydrated- Drinking water and eating hydrating foods like fruits is very important. You are more prone to stress, anxiety, and sadness in winter, so doing this is beneficial to keeping yourself in a good mindset. 

Exercise- Keeping your body active will release endorphins. Endorphins are happy hormones and they will keep you happy and mentally stable. Whether you go to the gym, take a walk outside, or do a Pilates workout in your room, getting exercise is essential for mental health. 

Get outside- Getting outside and getting sunlight and fresh air is so good for your body. You need to get sunlight and fresh air to help your body stay strong and healthy. Even if you get outside for 20 minutes it will make a big difference. 

Doing all these things can help you feel more happy during the wintertime! 

Olivia Eldridge
Olivia Eldridge, Social Media Team
Olivia is in her 3rd year in journalism! Olivia works at Crumbl Cookies and of course, loves the cookies! She loves to write about advice and help other people! Olivia writes for the West Press because she wants to help other people! She also runs track and participates in Peer Counseling! She is excited for another beautiful year writing for the West Press!