Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
Prom 2024: Behind the Scenes
May 9, 2024
Senior Events To Look Forward To
Senior Events To Look Forward To
May 9, 2024
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West
Student Ambassadors of Lakota West

Gypsy Rose: Dangerous or Misunderstood?

Gypsy Rose: Dangerous or Misunderstood?

There is so much to unpack from Gypsy Roses’ story; Let’s start from the beginning. Gypsy Rose was born on July 27th, 1991. Immediately after her birth her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard, started becoming obsessed with Gypsy’s health. 

Her mom claimed she had leukemia, muscular dystrophy, hearing impairments, vision impairments, and seizures. She had multiple surgeries and procedures all over her body. She used a feeding tube full-time and was even wheelchair-bound. Gypsy, however, wasn’t actually unwell, as her mother had been lying about her health. She “abused and controlled” Gypsy for several decades and became her full-time caregiver. 

Over time Gypsy became aware of her mom’s lies. She learned that she was perfectly healthy. She didn’t need the feeding tube or the wheelchair and didn’t have cancer. Gypsy was only bald because her mother had been shaving her head. She would get severely punished or even abused when her mom caught her walking or eating. 

Gypsy continuously used the internet after her mom went to sleep. In 2011, Gypsy met Nicholas Godejohn on a Christian dating site. She told him what her mother had been doing to her, and they planned to kill her. In June 2015, he came to her house and stabbed Dee Dee to death in hopes that they could be together. 

They were quickly found and arrested. Nickolas Godejohn was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Gypsy was only sentenced to 10 years, due to her unique situation. She was released from prison after only serving 8 years on December, 28th, 2023. Many opinions are circulating about her release. Some think she is psychotic and should be locked up for life. While others believe her actions were a reaction to years of mental and physical abuse. Do you think she is dangerous or misunderstood?