Why it is Essential to Wear Sunscreen in the Summer!

The weather is getting warmer, the sun is shining brighter and the UV index is getting stronger. During the summer most people go outside, go swimming, visit amusement parks, and do many other outdoor activities. Here is why you need to take protection from the heat this summer!  One thing you need to remember during this fun summer is to wear sunscreen every day! Sunscreen protects you from many cancers and from many risks that could put you in harm. 

WHO: Everyone under the sun

WHAT: Broad spectrum of sunscreen  SPF 15 or higher

WHEN: Every day; 30 minutes prior to going outdoors. Reapply every two hours

WHERE: All exposed skin

HOW: One ounce (shot glass full) to the entire body for each application

WHY: Reduce your risk of skin damage and skin cancer

First, let’s talk about what the UV index is and why it’s important to look at it daily because you will get burnt if you do not take precautions. Elisabeth G. Richard from The Skin Cancer Prevention website tells us a little more about the UV index.

The UV Index provides a daily forecast of the expected risk of overexposure to the sun. The Index predicts UV intensity levels on a scale of 1 to 11+, where 1 indicates a minimal risk of overexposure and 11+ means a very high risk.”

The UV index is essential to look at daily therefore you know how much sunscreen you should put on and how often you need to reapply. You can find the UV index in the weather app on your iPhone or you can Google it!

Let’s also talk about different types of sunscreen and how effective they are. The way to determine what sunscreen is right for you and what kind you would need that specific day depends on the SPF! SPF is the measure of how much solar energy (UV radiation) is required to produce a sunburn on protected skin.

As the SPF value increases, sunburn protection increases. Therefore, the amount of SPF protection that is in your sunscreen is the amount of protection you have. When the UV index is higher use a higher SPF. The SPF number is found on the side of the sunscreen every bottle will have an SPF number. 

How often should you be reapplying sunscreen?
Sunscr
een should be reapplied every 2 hours with SPF 30 sunscreen especially while swimming!

Sunscreen protects you from many different cancers and protects you from the risk. Lots of sun exposure without sunscreen can cause you to age prematurely which would lead to wrinkles, fine lines, and even skin discoloration. If you experience repeated sunburns over several years, you could also increase your risk of developing skin cancer.

Wearing sunscreen every day is vital to keeping your skin healthy, reducing sunburns, and making sure you stay away from getting skin issues when you get older! Looking out for your friends and family and making sure they wear it as well and making sure you buy the correct SPF in your sunscreen is very important as well! You can buy sunscreen with tanning oil in it that way you can stay safe from sun damage while still getting your tan on! This summer stay safe and WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN!!!

More information found here and any reference to quotes found here: https://www.epa.gov/enviro/uv-index-description 

Olivia Eldridge
Olivia Eldridge, Social Media Team
Olivia is in her 3rd year in journalism! Olivia works at Crumbl Cookies and of course, loves the cookies! She loves to write about advice and help other people! Olivia writes for the West Press because she wants to help other people! She also runs track and participates in Peer Counseling! She is excited for another beautiful year writing for the West Press!