No, Not Even Water - A Spiritual Breakdown of Ramadan
Bathrooms or Trap Rooms?
The Best Places to Go For Spring Break
The Best Places to Go For Spring Break

Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2023 Recap

Fashion Week Fall/Winter 2023 Recap

As February comes to an end designers & creatives come together to celebrate new collections and share the stories behind them. 

February is basically a national holiday for those interested in fashion. as it marks the beginning of back-to-back fashion weeks. It typically begins in New York and then makes its way to Europe & Asia. This time of year is when brands usually present their fall/winter collections so the looks shown can be prepared months before. 

NYFW officially began on the 10th of February and had shown by Dion Lee and Collina Strada. Dion Lee is known for their grunge looks and kept their legacy with their fall collection. Though this season, Dion dived into the world of animal print as many other designers coincidently did the same. Collina Strada took this a step further by creating prosthetics resembling animal features for models to wear as they took the runway. Other shows such as Sandy Liang, Anna Sui, and PH5 had good reactions from the public for their looks & production this season.

This season felt different not only for those in the shows but those observing because more underground designers were able to showcase their shows. Big brands still had their spots, but it felt more special knowing that different takes on fashion are being shown to the world rather than hidden away.

Sandy Liang

As soon as fashion weekends in New York, it’s straight to London. Notable shows from London include Simone Rocha, Bora Aksu, Mowalola, and Burberry as they rebranded with new creative director Daniel Lee. Once fashion week reaches Europe, it’s like nothing seen in New York as there are many other stories to be told through the clothing presented. Not to mention, this year marks the 30th anniversary of the British Fashion Council allowing designers to showcase their art.

Students at Central Saint Martins, one of the most recognized fashion schools in the world display their designs every year as part of their master’s program. 

Mowalola

Milan fashion is still going on as this piece is being written, but it has already made headlines. The recent Gucci show raised the eyebrows of many with the sudden change in styling. Their last creative director Allesandro Michelle stepped down from his position, and Sabato De Sarno filled the position.

The show referenced past Gucci designs and elements of the past, such as their Horsebit bag and conversation pits added for guests. The star-studded show had guests such as Hanni from NewJeans, Måneskin, ASAP Rocky, and Devon Lee Carlson. Other brands equally created a buzz like Ferragamo for their new youthfulness to the brand, Prada showed a new side to their elegant concept, and Blumarine’s different takes on how girlhood is conceptualized. As a whole, Milan fashion week has shown once again how Italy has a special place in its heart for fashion.