The QR Code

The QR code is a new system that the administration has created for when people leave during class. It is a way for the administration to keep track of them– making sure no one is doing something bad or getting into trouble. It is a piece of paper with a QR code on it that students scan after asking if they can leave class. The students have to scan it before leaving class no matter the situation. The students will ask their teacher first to leave, take their phone, scan the QR code, then fill out a Google form with their first name, last name, what bell they are in, their teacher’s name, and where they are going.

After that, they put their phone on their teachers desk or their own desk. Finally, they are allowed to leave the classroom. Upon returning, they can have their phone back from the teacher and continue on with their day. It is a simple way of knowing where people are to keep trouble from happening.  

So, what do the teachers think of this? When reaching out for a comment from teachers, they refused to comment to maintain the façade of the united administration.

“Well, I can tell you this, I lost my paper QR code, so do with that as you will” said a teacher who would like to stay anonymous.

What are the students’ thoughts? They seem to have strong opinions.

“They are tracking data to try [and] get kids in trouble for using the restroom” Jessica said.

“I think the purpose of this bathroom track and flag idea is justified. Absolutely there are people taking advantage of the system, however, in practice, those breaking the rules will continue to do so while abiding students can be unfairly victimized through it” said a SGA sophomore representative.

Some students seem to either 1) not care, or 2) think it’s for specific students.

“I think it’s too much. I understand what they are trying to do, but its a waste of time” said Will, a sophomore.

A quote from Joey: “I do not know. I don’t really care that much.”

“[It’s just] a couple of bad apples. [Administration] should handle them instead of handling all the good apples the same way [they] handle the bad apples.”

2
Olivia Eldridge
Olivia Eldridge, Social Media Team
Olivia is in her 3rd year in journalism! Olivia works at Crumbl Cookies and of course, loves the cookies! She loves to write about advice and help other people! Olivia writes for the West Press because she wants to help other people! She also runs track and participates in Peer Counseling! She is excited for another beautiful year writing for the West Press!

• B

Benjamin RobertsFeb 10, 2023 at 12:25 pm

Personally, I also think that the QR code is not the best idea. There aren’t many kids abusing it, and it makes it a much slower process to actually go out and use the bathroom. I think it should be up to the teachers’ discretion and judgment to allow students to go to the bathroom. Especially due to the fact that there are a few students (including me) who do not have a phone, thus making it harder (and more embarrassing) to carry a heavy Chromebook up to the QR code, fill the form out, return to my seat, and then finally head out the door. As I said earlier, I believe it should be the teacher’s decision as to who is abusing the hall pass.

• O

OliviaApr 3, 2023 at 11:49 am

yes I agree