The Origins of Prom Dances
Spring Break Bucket List
Spring Break Bucket List

College Prep: Roomates

College Prep: Roomates

It’s crazy to think about, but for many of our seniors, it is just over six months until college move-in time.  And this means that, for many, an anonymous roommate is on the horizon.

The students here at Lakota West have some definite qualities that they are looking for.  These include the following traits:

1. Friendly: The top choice of Lakota West students is a friendly roommate.  You need a roommate who you like to be around and finding someone who is friendly is definitely a good way to start!  Friendly roommates will want to get to know you and put an effort into getting along with you. 
  2. Respectful: The second thing Lakota West students would look for is a respectful roommate.  A respectful roommate is someone who is considerate of your feelings and of your space; which is nice to have, especially of someone you are living with. 
  3. Clean/neat: Lakota West Students want someone who is clean and neat.  This ties into the respectful roommate.  Clean roommates won’t leave dirty socks on your bed!  
  4. Similar interests/hobbies: A great way to make sure you and your roommate will get along, is if you all have similar interests and hobbies.  An even better way to bond is to start hobbies together!  Since you all will be living together maybe you can find hobbies you both like to do.
  5. Good communicator: Two people cannot expect everything to be perfect all the time, but every problem can be solved with a dose of good communication.  There is nothing better than having someone who can effectively communicate what they are thinking.  Good communicators will be able to have healthy conversations to sort out any issues productively.  
  6. Cooperative/can compromise: If you are living together, you might as well cooperate with each other.  A great roommate can compromise with you so that both of you are content, and neither of you are left feeling like something is constantly wrong.  Cooperative roommates allow for both parties to get to a mutual understanding together.
  7. Doesn’t participate in substance abuse: If your roommate is caught with drugs or alcohol, not only will they be penalized, but also you (as the roommate) could get in trouble.  A roommate who is respectful toward you will not put you in harm’s way when it comes to your education.
  8. Patient: Everyone has off days, and a patient roommate is nice to have when you’re feeling on edge.  A patient roommate will let you get your problems off your chest.  Take some time to thank those patient roommates out there. 
  9. Extrovert: Lakota West has some “chatty kathys” out there, looking for good conversation.  Our ninth most looked for trait in a roommate is the ability to be outgoing and talkative.  If you have a roommate who is an extrovert, you will always have someone willing to talk to.
  10. Stays up late: We’ve got some late night owls at Lakota West! Looks like most people would rather have a roommate that stays up late rather than gets up early. They might want a roommate that has the same schedule as them.