The Origins of Prom Dances
Spring Break Bucket List
Spring Break Bucket List

September Jobs Available

Jared_Wickerham

If there’s one thing we all want, it’s money. And what’s the easiest way to obtain more money? That’s right —  getting a job. As teenagers, getting a job is normal, even sometimes expected. Where should you apply to? What kind of jobs are out there? Luckily for you, I’ve done the leg work.

The first major provider of entry-level jobs is no doubt the food industry. Fast food places and grocery stores are almost always hiring. When looking at food service jobs you might want to consider if you are able to lift at most 50 pounds, stand cold or warm conditions, and handle money on at least a basic level.  Listed here are some local companies hiring in the food industry.

Whole Foods:

The tasks for this job are listed as stocking, food preparations, counter service, and cashiering. This job can become quite involved and gives employees a chance to work toward a higher position. The closest Whole Foods is in Deerfield, 18 minutes away from West High. Quotes on the wage given here are 15 to 16 dollars an hour.

Whole Foods

Aldi:

Tasks at this job would mostly include stocking shelves and cashiering. On some job listings, the available work hours did not exceed 30. Aldi also offers 15 dollars an hour with an increase after the first year. The closest Aldi to West High school is 11 minutes away still in West Chester.

Aldi

Canes:

Canes has a multitude of entry level job listings. Like most fast food jobs, this entails working in a fast pace environment handling food prep, drive thru orders, and over all cashiering and cleanliness.  Wage offers are around 9.50 dollars an hour. The closest locations are in Fairfield and Hamilton. 

Canes

Subway:

Subways are everywhere and are not very complicated. The main tasks of a Subway Sandwich Artist are cashiering and correct food handling. At Subway you will most likely not have to lift over 30 pounds. Wages at Subway can range from 9 to 11 dollars an hour. 

Subway

Graeters:

Graeter’s locations are always hiring. Aside from cashiering, Graeters wants people who can lift at least 40 pounds and are willing to keep their schedule flexible to come in when they are needed. Wage offers hover around 15 dollars an hour. The closest Graeters is 13 minutes away still in West Chester.

Graeters

Other food locations that are hiring are Dunkin Donuts (West Chester, Fairfield, Hamilton, and Mason locations), Kroger, Panda Express, and TGI Fridays. 

Not interested in fast food?  Hiring locations for those who do not want to work in food are available.

Hot Topic 

Hot Topic Associates in Liberty Center can be expected to answer questions and handle the register. Physically, applicants should be able to lift 50 pounds. If you would consider working at Hot Topic you probably already know what it’s like —  Hot Topic encourages employees to share their fashion sense and relate to customers.

Hot Topic

CVS:

As with most retail stores, a CVS employee is expected to cashier and restock shelves. Employees should be able to lift at least 40 pounds and work in both a group and individually. CVS has plenty of locations to apply to meaning finding a place close to home shouldn’t be a challenge. 

CVS

Lowes and Home Depot:

At a hardware store, one can expect to be doing a fair amount of physical labor and cashiering. Some positions are limited to cashiering but others will require more. At Lowes, employees receive a 10 percent discount on all store items. Wages range heavily. Lowes and Home Depot can be found 11 minutes from West High. 

Home Depot

Lowes

UPS Warehouse-

In a UPS Warehouse, communicating with customers is not a concern. Workers should be able to lift 70 pounds, though physically intensive shifts are limited to 3 or 4 hours. Each week 17 to 20 hours can be scheduled. Shifts are available from 10 am to 10 pm. UPS offers 18 dollars an hour and will support students’ funds for college or trade school if they have already been accepted. There are UPS Warehouses farther away —  in Sharonville and Cincinnati. 

UPS

Almost anywhere is hiring amidst the COVID decline. If you have a place in mind already, don’t be afraid to ask what age they hire at. There are still a multitude of jobs available for you that were not described here in this article, from Big Lots to Loft Outlet. Whether you are looking for a first job to a new job, be proud to take responsibility.

3
View Comments (3)

• H

Hanna mulhollandOct 21, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Love to read this so many places are hiring and I feel like nobody knows where to look.

Reply
  • H

Harrison WargackiOct 6, 2021 at 11:18 am

It’s great to see that west is posting available jobs and where they are and how much they pay. I’m currently in the market of looking for a job so that I can start paying for insurance and gas for my truck. This really helps me narrow down where I want to work

Reply
  • M

Madeline Van BenschotenOct 5, 2021 at 8:30 am

Wow! What a great article for individuals looking for a job!
    I love that you included the pay and shift hours so your peers can evaluate which job is best suited for them! Bravo!

Reply