The Origins of Prom Dances
Spring Break Bucket List
Spring Break Bucket List

Movie Review: Joker

Raking in nearly $40 million on its opening night, Joker, based on America’s favorite villain, has been praised by many while feared by others. As one of the most controversial movies of recent years, many officials are on high alert as they believe Joaquin Phoenix’s latest masterpiece promotes violence and societal subversion. At the surface, Joker is wildly addicting and extremely entertaining, but the movie certainly presents a less entertaining moral once further explored. Living up to its R rating, Joker is a dark film filled not only with dark innuendos, but blatant psychotic messages.

In the beginning of the movie, Joker presents a refreshing backstory to one of comic’s most enigmatic characters. The life of Arthur Fleck, the new Joker, is explored pre-mental breakdown as he works for a rent-a-clown business in inner Gotham during the early ‘80s. When he is assaulted on multiple occasions, and loses access to his psychiatrist due to state budget cuts, Fleck spirals into violence, leaving mass destruction and general chaos throughout the city in his wake.

If you plan on going to watch this new blockbuster, keep in mind its R rating due to its abundance of graphic and gory scenes. All in all, it is worth the price of a movie ticket and you will not be disappointed in the cinematic features. Joker demonstrates the best that DC has to offer and easily surpasses recent movie experiences from the company.

Linked is the official trailer for Joker released by Warner Bros on April 3rd.

5
View Comments (5)

• W

WilliamsAug 13, 2022 at 8:43 am

When I’m feeling sad sometimes I just come watch this trailer. I relate to this movie so much. I really wish I didn’t but I can’t help it. Being 24 years old with manic depression and constantly feeling alone, it just really hits home in a disturbingly comforting way. Obviously killing people is wrong and vengeance never solves anything, I’m smart enough to know that. But just the struggles and Isolation that he goes through in the movie I feel like I can relate to so much. Now can’t wait to watch joke 2 . A masterpiece movie.

Reply
  • B

BatmanNov 6, 2019 at 12:40 pm

Very disappointed.

Reply
  • J

JokerNov 6, 2019 at 12:39 pm

WOW! Thank you for telling my story so beautifully Luke Wilson. This is truly a work of art. I am so grateful that you are sharing my message with the world! You are the only one that really gets me. Love from the Joker!

Reply
  • G

GhandiNov 6, 2019 at 12:35 pm

This article just solved world peace. Thank you Luke Wilson.

Reply
  • J

Justin wilsonOct 30, 2019 at 1:19 pm

Very well done, cousin!

Reply