Snapchat AI – Friend or Foe?

Snapchat AI - Friend or Foe?

Snapchat recently added a feature called MyAI – a chatbot designed to give out unbiased and accurate advice and be someone to talk to. At first, to use it people had to apply for a $3.99 subscription but now the feature is free for all to use. Many new users have mixed emotions about the bot. Some people find the bot fun to chat with and enjoy the advice it gives while others find it unnerving. 

Many people have found the bot to give good neutral advice on topics such as what shows to watch, what to do about crushes, school topics, and more.

Kendall Tietz quotes that “Snapchat+ subscribers have been loving My AI, our AI-powered chatbot, sending nearly 2 million chat messages per day to learn more about movies, sports, pets, and the world around them.” Others have found that the bot will give advice on more personal and mature topics that should not be discussed with everyone.

To improve this issue Kendall Tietz says the Snapchat team is working hard to improve the bot’s responses when asked “inappropriate Snapchatter requests, regardless of a Snapchatter’s age.” The team plans on using detection tools to take action when scanning conversations for potentially ‘nonconforming’ text. These continuing advancements to the bot’s technology will hopefully make people feel more comfortable chatting with this feature in the future.